Thursday, January 3, 2013

what i really think about online education

Had you asked me ten years ago what I thought about online education my response would have been lukewarm at best. So much of learning, whether in a traditional classroom setting or even if more experential in nature, requires a certain amount of engagement between teacher and student, student and student and/or student and subject. And, quite frankly, the degree of engagement I felt was necessary for real learning to take place couldn't exist given the limitations of educational technology. But things have changed. Radically changed. And, as such, my feelings about online education have changed. And I think today's learner can, in fact, receieve a rich and interactive experience though online learning. 

Over the next couple of weeks, I plan to research and explore some of the exciting educational opportunities available online (have you heard about MITx?) and I'll be looking for your feedback and experiences.

So grab a cup of coffee and pull up a chair. We all have a lot to learn.