Monday, November 7, 2011

first look at the informational interview

I was twenty-two years old and a professional wreck. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Theater but was quickly realizing that a career in the performing arts wasn't in the cards; I had neither the stamina nor the confidence. I was working as a substitute teacher and a part-time advisor and was playing around with the idea of going to graduate school - but in what?

Fortunately my boss, let's call him Harry, paid attention. Harry pulled me into his office and asked me about my plans. I sat at his desk and cried. What I really needed was professional mentorship. Harry's advice, the first bit of many, was to set up informational interviews.

But what in the world was an informational interview and how did it relate to mentoring? That's what we're talking about this week at Simply Defined.

Don't forget to read, comment, follow and share!