Wednesday, October 26, 2011

your definition of success

In my last post, the cellist (or how to succeed in music by really trying) you got a glimpse of what it means to create your own definition for success. This, above all other exercises, is critical when creating your ideal life. It's especially critical for those whose ideal life is unorthodox and those who challenge educational and professional norms.

So if you haven't already done so, ask yourself: what's my finish line? How will I know that I'm a success? Will there be a certain dollar amount on my bank statement? Will there be specific diplomas or certificates hanging on my wall? Will I have a family around my dinner table? Will I be my own boss?

You've got to know the answer to this question, because as Yogi Berra said , "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."