Wednesday, October 19, 2011

a picture is worth a thousand words

Are you feeling uninspired? Have you lost sight of what's really important to you? It's at times like these you should create an image-driven action plan.

An image-driven action plan is an exercise in future-planning that allows you, at least initially, to stay clear of articulating specific goals. There are two stages: to gather and to arrange. Today, I want to focus on the first stage.

The Image-Driven Action Plan

Gather: At the gathering stage, you are taking in information. Look through magazines, catalogs, websites and your own photo files for images that inspire you; images that speak to your "ideal" life. (Pinterest may be a useful tool for this exercise.)

Now keep in mind this isn't a craft project. The image-driven action plan is in fact a research project. It's a research project on, what I hope is an interesting topic: you!

As such, you should look for images with specific questions in mind. Possibilities might include:

What do I want to call "home"?
Where would I like to work?
How would I like to dress?
What do I still have to learn?

Don't censor yourself. And, don't worry about how others might perceive your choices.

The picture you see above is what personally speaks to me when I answer the question, "Where would I like to work?" Now, at first glance, my image choice may make little sense to you. Truth is, at this stage, the choice may not make a lot of sense to me. But that's okay. We'll figure out the "whys?" during the next stage of the process; which I'll discuss on Saturday.

In the mean time, happy gathering!