Saturday, October 22, 2011

making sense of the picture

So you've had a chance to gather photos during stage one of creating your image-driven action plan. It's time to move onto stage two. 

Image-driven Action Plan (In Process)
Arrange: The next stage of the plan to is to arrange. Specifically, to arrange your photos, your thoughts, and your ideas. There are a number of ways to do this. Many people create dream or inspiration boards. I certainly think these are valuable tools, but I don't know that creating a collage is enough. It's important that you also process why you chose certain images and how those images are either in or out of alignment with your ideal life.

I arrange my action plan by choosing one image per one well-defined question. For example I might find an image that answers the question: "Where would I like to work?" Once I've chosen the image I ask the following questions:
  1. What single words best describe this image?
  2. How does the image differ from my current reality?
  3. What would need to change to make this my current reality?
  4. And, what one thing can I do today that will get me closer to making this my reality?
This process, when repeated, can help you define your goals and plan your next steps.